Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Saif: I don’t think any terrorist is a Muslim


Saif Ali Khan is preparing religiously for his role of a Islamic fundamentalist in Resil D’Silva’s untitled flick and his research for his role has made his politically and religiously more aware.
Saif says, “The role has not only made me more politically aware, it has also made me more religious. Earlier, I was more spiritual than religious. I knew a lot of things about Islam and always believed in the higher power. But when I did a lot of reading on Islam, the one most decisive thing that I learnt had to do with Allah. We tend to presume Allah to be the Muslim God. But Allah is the Arab word for the ‘same God’, or the ‘one true God’ that, I thought, was a wonderful thing to learn while doing this character. All religions believe in the oneness of God. So what’s all the fighting about? Whether it’s Christianity, Islam or Judaism, many of the religions have fought a holy war at one time or another. It’s been a part of religious history.”
Saif’s co-star in the movie is Vivek Oberoi, Saif reveals, “It’s the most politically relevant character I’ve played. Though my character Langda Tyagi in Omkara was a political creature, his politics was subverted. In Rensil’s film, I play the Jehadi as a very real and suave gentleman, dressed in very dapper clothes like a college professor and hence more frightening. I play an Islamic fundamentalist while Vivek Oberoi plays the more moderate Muslim.”
“To me the whole point of being an actor is to become characters I can’t be in real life. My character in Rensil’s film is redeemed at the end. But even if he wasn’t, I’d still say yes to a role that explores my emotions that lie too deep for fears and tears. My character in Rensil’s film has become the way he has because of the way Americans have treated Afghanistan and other Islamic states. I don’t think 26/11 or earlier 9/11 are Islamic acts. No matter what people say, I don’t think any terrorist is a Muslim. Let’s make that distinction very clear. Of course the population of Afghanistan may disagree with me. But I condemn 26/11 as a deed done by non-Muslims.”
Looks like Saif has turned more wiser now, thanks to his new director.

No comments: