Thursday, January 22, 2009

I’m not Superman: Akshay


You would have thought with the appalling reviews and public criticism his 2009 non-starter Chandni Chowk To China (CC2C) received in India, Akshay


Akshay Kumar. More PicsKumar would have retreated to a corner to sulk and lick his wounds . Far from it! Bollywood’s action hero who laughs, cries, sings, dances and kickboxes in the film that producer Warner Bros’ American audiences and the Hollywood press (also, Indian kids) actually enjoyed, is standing on his feet having taken the punches squarely on the chin... BT put him on the mat and got him to deliver straight replies to some more punches... With this flop, it’s being said your golden spell is over... But my so-called flop has generated Rs 45 crore in the first weekend... it’s the fourth highest, three-day box office collection in the history of Bollywood. Besides, I never said this was the greatest film ever made. I told everyone, ‘It’s a senseless film, leave your brains at home.’ I accept it for what it is, I love it for what it is, and I will stand by it and say that’s the film we wanted to make and we made. I pray you like it, and I’m sorry if you don’t. But I didn’t break my back doing it to have my own fraternity later stab me from behind... But you’re hugely successful, you had the opportunity to choose ... did you make the right choice? I accept failure, no problem; failing isn’t the scary part, reading newpapers is what brings me out in a cold sweat! Mistakes I can live with, but regret is one thing I can do without. I did my best, I’m not Superman, if I never fall how will I pick myself up to climb again! Shekhar Suman says you ought to apologise for CC2C... Bollywood is a family, if you have a problem come to my house and discuss it with me over tea, don’t poison the minds of our public. Have you ever heard me hurt anyone? But Shekar Suman’s not the only one. His son’s film releases tomorrow and I wish him the very best. I hope no one ever talks about Shekhar’s son the same way he spoke about me. Where does CC2C leave you? Thank God I’m not considered number one or anything of the sort. I’m happy being the underdog that has to struggle. It’s what I’m used to doing and it’s where I’m happiest. I can get on with being the dude who just wants to make films. Wish me luck ... What is the road ahead like? Bumpy, full of pot-holes, but I’ll reach my destination ... I work hard, I do good things with my money, and all I want to do at the end of the day is go home and play with my innocent son. No film, no money and no amount of success is more precious than that. I’m lucky, every month my son’s dying to see another one of my films! People say you’ve lost your trademark modesty with success... No one can ever take away my modesty. I haven’t changed since the day I started, in fact I’m even more mellow now than I used to be. People are dying to pull me down. I understand why. But I won’t become too big for my boots. Have I ever thrown my weight around or abused my position in the industry? Why do you think after all the flops I am still here! You gave away your Best Actor award in the Popular category to Aamir Khan. People claim that magnanimity was not the reason behind your grand gesture... Of course they will, you only hear crap about me around release time; they did it to me before Singh Is Kinng and are doing it again now. I gave my award to Aamir because I felt he deserved it. Just because he doesn’t turn up for awards doesn’t mean I can pretend it doesn’t belong to him. I was honoured to be given the award and, to be honest, it took a lot for me to give it away. Aamir knows why I did what I did, he understands me, why can’t people? Everybody’s not corrupt

No comments: