Wednesday, January 14, 2009

'Khiladi made me,' says Akshay

Akshay Kumar, the khiladi who’s always game for another movie and more work, is touring the US and UK for the worldwide premieres of Chandni Chowk
Akshay Kumar (TOI Photo) More Picsto China. Akki tells us what Indian cinema’s international connect means to him now...
From an action movie star to being seen as someone who has made commercial Indian movies popular in the West... how does it feel?
Oh, you know, the usual – I get up at the same time, brush my teeth, then I remember, ‘Oh my God, people think I am more than what I am.’ It’s, well, scary, but it’s a part of doing what I do, and if one does something well, they have to suffer the pressure of higher expectations... It is great, though, but living up to people’s expectations is hard. I just want to entertain, but so much else comes with the package.
Which of your movies do you think was the turning point of your career?
Without a shadow of a doubt, it was Khiladi. That’s what made me, and I know that ‘name’ is what took me into the future. I could easily have been left behind, but those films carried me forward to this day.
How was the experience of working with Gordon Liu, Sylvester Stallone, Denise Richards, Snoop Dogg and other international artistes?
They are a credit to not only their profession, but to their country and their industry. The people I have had the pleasure of working with, have been incredibly hardworking, respectful, dedicated and very humble. They inspire me, they make me want to learn more, try harder, achieve more. I’m lucky to have worked with them, because I know that there are some difficult people out there, but as usual, God has blessed me very kindly.
What is your take on foreign collaborations in Indian cinema?
I think it’s wonderful, and why not? We all have the same passion in life and that’s to create great cinema. If it needs us to all join hands, then brilliant, we all live in the same world, why not come together?
You have seen international audiences react to our movies, up close and personal. What is it about Indian cinema that appeals to them?
If you hadn’t noticed, Indians are everywhere. There are towns all over the world that are comprised of only Indians. We spread our love and passion to our western neighbours, we’re not exactly quiet about our passions, are we? And in my experience, everyone wants to experience what they don’t have, what they don’t know. That’s why so many foreigners come to India – we are fascinating to them and I don’t blame them... my country still fascinates me!
You have over 80 movies to your credit... How has the industry changed, for better or for worse, over the time you’ve been here?
Over a 100 movies, by the way... The industry’s changed immensely. I had to wear the same pair of jeans for my first couple of films ’coz we couldn’t afford designers! So much has changed and obviously for the better. But even if it hadn’t, I’d still be here trying to make it better.
Do our movies have the same Box Office success rate abroad as they do in India?
I wouldn’t think as yet. Anyway, there are over a billion people in India – that’s a lot of people to visit cinemas in one country! But I’d have to say that the majority of NRIs are Bollywood fanatics, and it’s wonderful to see that. I’ve had a huge success rate at the overseas Box Office, so I would say we are getting appreciation from all over the world.
You have also recently signed Deepa Mehta’s Komagata Maru. This movie required an Indian actor with a permanent resident status in Canada. How long have you had the permanent resident status, and will you be playing the role of a Sikh lawyer in the movie?
Sorry mates, it’s too early into the project to be discussing anything about the movie, I’m afraid, but I have had my residency for a few years now. Toronto is another of my favourite homes away from home.
Anything about your co-actors in CC2C – Mithun Chakraborty and Deepika Padukone?
Oh, the wonderful Mithunda – he was the perfect man for this role. His strength is still unbelievable to me. And Deepika did especially well in this movie, and we are all proud of her. With her drive, that lady will go far. Is there any particular movie genre that you still haven’t done and would like to do? Not that I know of... I mean, I’ve never made a horror movie, but that takes an incredible storyline. I suppose I could consider that, but mostly I think I’ve tried my hand at pretty much everything. But I’ll show you more, just wait and watch...
You have your son’s name tattooed on your back. What does Aarav bring to your life?
He made me see the true meaning of life. He made me think, ‘What the hell was I doing in life before he came along?’ Really, that’s what he does to me. It’s amazing how someone so small and tiny, can change a man as big as me – and I’m talking about my height, by the way, not my stature!
In 2008, you were tagged the sexiest man alive. Your comments.
The judges must have been blind or on drugs, I don’t know... I’m honoured, don’t get me wrong. I’m just trying not to blush in this interview, that’s all.

No comments: