Wednesday, February 18, 2009

I love being called Masakalli: Sonam Kapoor

Mumbai: She's all dressed up in a salwar kameez matched with rollers in her hair. She apologises for them. But ask her if she's still keeping up with the Delhi 6 look and she's quick to say, "I've been wearing Western clothes every day. Just today I thought of wearing a salwaar kameez. This is the Sonam Kapoor look. This is how I dress."

Sonam Kapoor in conversation about Delhi 6, Slumdog Millionaire's chances at the Oscars and more with DNA.
That's Sonam for you -- honest and straight forward. So is she consciously building a traditional image by wearing Indian outfits in her films? "I don't think about my image. If my character requires me to dress from head to toe I will. If my character is someone who wears short dresses, I will. It's the character that excites me."
So why does she hate being called Masakalli when the whole world is humming the song? "I know some publicationsaid that I hate being called Masakalli. But that's not true. I love it. It's the name of the pigeon in the film. And since I'm in the song and the pigeon has become a symbol for me, people also call me Masakalli with a lot of affection. And I'll love anything that people call me with affection."
While Sonam's enjoying the attention, it's her dad Anil Kapoor who has been the centre of attraction after Slumdog Millionaire won awards at the Golden Globe and the BAFTA. "Dad and the others have been going to LA, while I've been working in Mumbai. You pop champagne or have a party. But what more can you do? You just feel happy inside." So what does she think of the movie's chances at the Oscars? "We all live in hope. I'm sure it will win."
There's a heap of scripts lying on her bed but Sonam's picky. She's also signed on one endorsement. "I accepted it because I actually use the product. I don't want to be advertising something I don't use."

No comments: